Welcome to California Lifeline Free Government Smartphones and Free Government Cell Phones Page! When one thinks about 39 million people living in the most populous U.S. state, it is highly doubtful poverty is the first association that comes to mind. Nevertheless, more than 6.5 million Californians live in poverty. One of the reasons for this upsetting statistics is the 7.6% unemployment rate (which is nation’s 5th highest one). Therefore, the number of people seeking government’s help is very significant. Many enroll in various aid programs, including the California Lifeline free government cell phones and smartphones program.
Lifeline Free Government Cell Phones Program in California
All facts considered, California has an extensive budget. Residents of state enrolled in California Lifeline actually receive more benefits and subsidies than people in other states of our country. This is due to a fact that state authorities pitch in their share to the Lifeline budget of providers conducting business in the Golden state. Additional subsidies to wireless service providers mean better free government cell phones and smartphones, more minutes, even unlimited airtime plans, unlimited data packages, etc. for all California Lifeline subscribers. Do learn about possible additional privileges for California residents who apply for free government phone with the following providers:
Who is eligible for free government smartphones and free government cell phones in California?
If you participate in any or several of the following government assistance programs, it is very probable that you are eligible for free phone from the government:
- CalFresh, Food Stamps/ Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Section 8/ Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- National School Free Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN)
- Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)
- California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKS)
- Stanislaus County Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (StanWORKS)
- Welfare to Work (WTW)
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
You can also qualify based on the household income rule: your household income has to be lower or at the level calculated based on the Federal Poverty Guidelines for California. For 2016 this number is shown in a table below.
Household size (number of people)
Eligible annual income per household
|For each additional person, add||
Click here to see all steps needed to enroll in California Lifeline free government smartphones, free government cell phones program.